Wowzio Panoramic Slideshow

Monday, August 24, 2009

Maui Spotlight: Old Lahaina Luau

Most people associate Hawaii with luaus. The Old Lahaina Luau on Maui has received multiple awards and is considered by many to be one of the best. The other luau I went to was the Kona Village Resort Luau on the Big Island. Of the two, I preferred the Old Lahaina Luau overall. There was good food at both luaus, but the performances at the Old Lahaina Luau were more entertaining. This was a sentiment also shared by my family members who also went to both luaus.

At the Old Lahaina Luau, you can choose between traditional Hawaiian mat seating or regular chairs and tables. I opted for the regular chairs and tables especially because I knew that my mother would have a harder time sitting down and getting up from the much lower mat seating. One advantage of the mat seating is that the seats are closer to the stage. However, the regular seating seemed to provide more comfort overall. Since I reserved the luau months in advance, my seat was pretty close to the stage also. Seating is prioritized by the date the reservation is confirmed.

The grounds at the luau were very nice and we got to see the unearthing of the kalua pig from the underground oven. Overall, the Old Lahaina Luau was an enjoyable experience and I encourage anyone planning a trip to Maui to consider going.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

0 comments: