Wowzio Panoramic Slideshow

Thursday, July 9, 2009

Which Hawaiian Island is Best for You?

I've been to several Hawaiian islands and I was amazed at how different they were. There's definitely something for everyone and the islands you should visit depend on your interests. My favorite island was Maui. To me, it had the best mix of nature, shopping, and activities. I really loved its beauty and hated leaving when it was time to go home. Maui seemed to have something for everyone: great beaches, art galleries, shows, golf courses, and a lot of scenic locations for hiking. Maui is very near the island Lanai.

Lanai has great snorkeling and can easily be accessed from Maui by taking a ferry or snorkel cruise. We enjoyed seeing spinner dolphins near the island. Lanai has a more rural environment and Lanai city is very small and has an old fashioned feel. Lanai is great for someone who wants a more secluded island experience. There are a couple of luxury resorts, but there's not as much to do on the island other than hiking, playing golf and relaxing on the beach.

I've also visited the island Oahu. Honolulu is located on Oahu and the island seemed very urban in many areas. It was like Hawaii's version of New York city. As we approached the island from the air, I was stunned that the island appeared to be cluttered with buildings and concrete. It seemed to lack Maui's overall beauty, but I'm sure shopaholics love the huge malls and sunbathers love the great beaches. As a major metropolitan area, Oahu has many cultural activities, restaurants, and entertainment venues. I especially enjoyed the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Hawaii's largest island is called Hawaii and is also known as the Big Island. I didn't really enjoy this island as much as the others. The Big Island is the only one with an active volcano and it doesn't real beaches. Although it does have a some pretty scenery, a large portion of the island has black lava and limited greenery. The volcano was interesting, but the air quality due to vog was questionable and I noticed a lot of dead flies floating on the water when I went snorkeling. The island is definitely large and there are wide open spaces. You will definitely need to do a lot of driving if you want to go anywhere. Some people love the Big Island for its diverse climates, great hiking, kona coffee and active volcano.

I still haven't been to Kauai, but I definitely plan to go there next. The island is probably the most scenic of the islands as it gets the most rain. For that reason, I'm convinced that Kauai will become my second favorite island. Many people consider it to be the best island for helecopter rides and ziplining. There's not as much shopping or other activities as there is on Maui or Oahu, but it still seems like a really nice island.

Molokai is another island I haven't visited. It's referred to as the most Hawaiian island due to it's rural environment, slow pace, lack of streetlights, and extra large white sand beach.

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]


0 comments: